Which birth certificates are available to order?
We can assist with any UK-issued birth certificates. The following types are available:
- England & Wales - Certificates from July 1st 1837 to the present day
- Scotland - Certificates from 1855 to the present day
- Northern Ireland - Certificates issued from 1864 to the present day
- British Forces Births - From 1849 to 2013
- British Consul or High Commission registers - From 1849 to 2013
- British Army Regimental Records - From 1761 to 1849
- Marine births from British-registered vessels - From 1837 to 2013
- Aircraft births from British-registered aircraft - From 1948 to 2013
Please note that it is not compulsory for British people born abroad to have their birth recorded within the UK records. In cases where the birth was not registered with the overseas British Consulate, Embassy or High Commission, we will not be able to supply a copy of that certificate. You would need to contact the relevant registrars of births in the country where the birth took place.
Former British Territories or Protectorates
There are many countries around the world that used to be part of the United Kingdom but have since gained independence. When the British government handed over power to the local government, birth records remained within that country. None of the records were passed to the UK authorities and therefore we are unable to obtain a copy of the birth certificate for you. You would need to contact the birth registrars in that country.